So, in Entertainment Weekly this week they ran a story about pop culture throwdowns and fights and it got me thinking. Some of them are easy--Lost is scads better than The X-Files (even though they both owe Twin Peaks a helluva lot), Judd Apatow's movies aren't too long (even though I agree that comedies should run shorter, like Wedding Crashers and its sucky longness), the Beatles are better than the Stones, Star Wars is better than Star Trek, Rebecca is cooler than Diane--but others are harder to call. For example, will Jim and Pam's love ruin The Office? I sure hope not, but it is a possibility. The Office is so good I don't think anything can ruin it, but the Jim/Pam thing might bring it down. On the other hand, it could be awesome. We'll have to wait and see.
One, however, is so one-sided it is ridiculous to even bring it up--Mean Girls vs. Heathers. First of all, Mean Girls wouldn't even be possible without the awesomeness that is Heathers. Secondly, while I was suprisingly pleased with Mean Girls, Heathers is monumentally good. Amazing. Friggin awesome. Etc.
I also struggled with Spider-Man vs. Superman. Personally, I am not a fan of either. However, I would probably give it to Superman, based primarily on the odd pleasure I get out of watching Smallville. Don't get me wrong, I realize it is a horrible show, but I looove it. I can't explain why. I watched the first five seasons in record time--probably about a month. From those first dulcet tones, I'm completely hooked. Don't you judge me!Also, I just watched this old, old commercial featuring George Costanza rocking a rolled-up-sleeve blazer and it made me wish that we still had commercials like this. This commercial makes me want to eat this ridiculous burger, I tell you. Marketers, this would still work! Check it out...
4 comments:
Wow. You're so hot right now.
When did this turn into a sex blog, you two?
Here I am just wanting to make some sincere comment and you two are engaging in some type of cyber-blogger sex! (Well, maybe cyber-blogger foreplay, but c'mon!)
Well...anyway, I like battles as well and...oh gosh. I can't do this.
Wrap it up already!
What the h, Ben? Get your mind out of the gutter already. Its an expression, like on Zoolander: "Hansel...he's so hot right now." And in that regard, its a pretty sweet blog post. There's even a kitten fight! Also, I had a question about "Wrap it up already?" What does that even mean? 'Splain yourself.
Okay, okay...it was a dumb comment...I apologize.
And I don't know what "Wrap it up already" means either.
Me no speak or write English good.
I love battles like this cuz it makes you pick a side, you're forced to defend the one true winner in your mind!!!
A recent battle I've engaged in with a buddy is "The Office vs. Seinfield" for best TV sitcom ever.
Its a tougher debate than you might think. "The Office is so fresh in your mind...but what of "Festivus" and "Man-hands"? Do they merely fall to the wayside after the likes of "Gay Witch Hunt" and "Business School"?
Post a Comment