Saturday, September 12, 2009

Life moves pretty fast...

It's been a while since I've blogged last... I started working again, and the beginning of the school year is really busy. Also, Alex and I are both taking classes again, this time for a reading endorsement and (hopefully) a Master's degree--which we still have to apply for. We've got classes after work Mondays and Thursdays until 7. And homework and reading for those classes. On top of that, I was asked to take ESL endorsement classes this year, which thankfully will only be during the day, 6 days out of the year. However, when they pared the ESL program down from 200+ hours to 40 hours in classes, they made up those extra hours in homework (or so they say)... Then there's planning lessons and grading papers. I'm swamped. We took the writing section of the GRE on Friday, and my brain might be broken. As soon as I get the Master's application done and I get all my materials for my classes, I think I'll be a-ok.

Anyway... I'm done complaining. Oh wait, one more thing... Patrick Swayze died! It is so sad. I love him, and not in an ironic hipster way. I really love several of his movies, and when he dances, it makes the world (okay, at least the people in my apartment) smile. Point Break and Roadhouse are strangely two of my very favorite movies to watch. I know they're dumb, but they make me happy. It's similar to how I eat bags of mini-marshmallows or Texano burritos while watching the Food Network. I know I could cook myself something gourmet, but junky food makes me happy. I defy you to watch Point Break and keep a straight face. It's too awesome for that! Roadhouse doesn't achieve quite that same level of crazy-cool, but it makes up for it in ridiculousness. As you watch, you keep wondering, "Wait, did Swayze just rip a man's throat out using his bare hands? Hold on, did that monster truck really just drive through the car dealership? Did a giant polar bear just take out one of the bad guys?" It's great.

Now, I know this clip doesn't include Bodhi, but it's so funny, it'll inspire you to pull out your copy of Point Break and enjoy, preferably while enjoying two meatball subs.


Another Swayze movie I can't help but love is Dirty Dancing. It isn't my favorite 80's teen movie, but it's still pretty darn good. When Johnny leaps of the stage at the end... Priceless. See for yourself:




This leads me into another bit of sadness. John Hughes passed away too! The man who created some of the greatest teen angst movies of all time. The man whose movies Alex and I bonded over in one of our very first conversations! It went something like this...

Alex: What did you do this weekend? --awkwardly sticks hands in pockets--
Sheree: Well, I watched Pretty in Pink again. Do you like that movie?
Alex: Of course! The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, and Sixteen Candles are, like, the Holy Trinity of 80's teen comedies.
Sheree: --Inward swoon--

John Hughes movies... the Brat pack.... they are so inextricably tied to good memories. I unabashedly love them. Pretty in Pink is one of my faves, but in my mind I change the ending and Andie goes to the Prom with Duckie and she doesn't wear such an ugly dress. I think everybody wanted to be Ferris Bueller at some point during his/her adolescence. Hell, I'd still sorta like to be Ferris Bueller, who am I kidding? Sixteen Candles wasn't my favorite, but I did have a crush on Jake Ryan. I looked that actor up one day, and found out he quit acting and became a carpenter or something. Funny ole world. The Breakfast Club goes without saying. It's so funny, and angsty, and ridiculous. Funny sidenote: I used to watch it on network TV on Saturdays with my brother, so until I got older and watched the DVD, I had no idea why they all started to dance in the middle. Turns out they get high, which is cut out of the TV version. I was always so confused...

If you are also a fan, you've gotta check out this post, entitled "Sincerely, John Hughes. It's about a girl who was John Hughes' pen pal during the 80's. It's really well written, and it's such a cool story.

That's all I got for ye. I'm gonna go nap now.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I read that "Sincerely John Hughes" thing when he originally died. The worst part about it is, if he hadn't died, he could have made that story into a pretty kick ass movie.

Sheree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CitizenPain said...

It's also too bad that both the Hughes and the Swayze died without collaborating on a sequel to "Pretty in Pink" in which a grown up Duckie (Played by Patrick Swayze) finds Blaine and rips out his throat. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

Swayze Dazed?
Hughes Fused?

Back to bloggin?

Hellz yeah!