Friday, January 11, 2008

We are the Dead

So... first of all, movies. I have to make an adjustment to my top ten movies of the year. I just saw Once last week, and it blew me away. It was such a wonderful little movie that I want to add it to my top ten. I can't believe the two main characters aren't actors; they were so natural and their relationship was so cute (without being cute, if you follow). I also saw Charlie Wilson's War because I've heard so much hype about it. And let me tell you, that is one helluva mediocre movie. I mean, the story is mediocre, the performances are mediocre (except Julia Roberts, who is dreadfully miscast and is an ass-clown) (and Phillip Seymore Hoffman, who was actually really good in it), the ending is very mediocre. I've heard this movie described as "cute", and I agree. And that's cute in a bad way, not in a Once way. It was just so run-of-the-mill. I hope it doesn't get nominated for best picture.

I've been trying to figure out what should get nominated, and I'm not too sure. No Country for Old Men and Juno should definitely be nominated. I think Atonement is slightly overrated. There are a lot I still haven't seen. American Gangster didn't interest me much. It did have a kickass trailer though. I want to see There Will Be Blood, just waiting for it to show up here. I keep trying to talk myself into watching Eastern Promises, but after A History of Violence, it has been difficult. And all the flopping around.... Anyway, hopefully someday I'll at least watch it. Really, though, I thought A History of Violence was damn near unwatchable, what with all its gratuitous sex and violence. And that awful performance by... what's his name? William Hurt? I get the Hurts mixed up. I think John Hurt is V for Vendetta, William Hurt is History of Violence.

Anyway, I'm a little stressed right now (not because of the above, seriously, how nerdy do you think I am?). I have two big, expensive tests tomorrow that I have to pass in order to get my teacher's license. And a week from yesterday, I take over four class periods and start student teaching fo rizzle. I've got 1984 up first. Its funny; I seem more nervous for this than most of the other folks I've talked to. And don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited for it too. There's just some nerves built in to that, what can I say? And for someone who thinks that they're pretty much awesome, I have too little faith in myself to be kickass in my student teaching. Not literally or anything. Like, I'm not going to actually kick anyone. Oh dear.

Lastly, I want to write a small ode to Battlestar Galactica. Me and Alex just started watching it again (he hasn't seen the first season), and it is just so good! All you people who refuse to watch it and have led to its imminent downfall, you should be ashamed! Ashamed! I know what you're thinking, its on Sci-fi, same channel that brought us such pieces of crap as "Fire Serpent," "Reign of the Gargoyles, and both "Minotaur" and "Manticore." But trust me, this is one of the smartest things on TV right now. The second season is brilliant. The third season finale was... just so good. Now I have to wait until April to find out about the final Cylon. Sigh.

Okay, that's all for me. Gonna go study now.

5 comments:

CitizenPain said...

Awww yeah. By the time you read this, you'll have already taken the Praxis II! How awesome! And your 1984 lesson will rock. I have foreseen it.
So when we gonna finish getting our BSG on? You don't have to answer me in blog-comment form. I'll find out from you in person. Loves!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info as usual.
And sweet space boy pic!
Waddthafugizzit?

Ryan said...

I don't know where Sheree got the picture, but I do know that it's on an album cover by a band called Semi Full Grown Midget. She had to have found it somewhere else, though, because I listen to Semi Full Grown Midget, and I get the distinct impression that they wouldn't exactly be Sheree's cup o' tea.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=155681691

In fairness, though, I don't know that the little space boy picture is a SFGM original, or whether they co-opted it.

Sheree said...

So, the space boy picture is from an ad for Beech-Nut Gum from 1958. I found it at a site that sells vintage prints that I'm quite fond of. And no, I'm not a fan of Semi Full Grown Midget, though I can tell from their 18 MySpace fans that I'm really missing out.

Shanna Blythe said...

I love Battlestar Galactica! We haven't seen the third season though--we're waiting for it to come out on dvd. DOUBLE SIGH!

Sheree, you'll be surprised at how good you are at teaching--I bet you anything! And if it is any comfort I'm FREAKING right now because I don't have a unit plan, let alone a lesson planned for one of my classes. Sigh.