So on Friday, a few of us went to see Doomsday, the new movie from Neil Marshall, the man behind the fantastic horror extravaganza, The Descent. Needless to say, I was pretty excited to see it. The trailer was a crazy mix of several awesome movies (Escape from New York, 28 Days Later, maybe Mad Max) and The Descent, in my opinion, is a modern horror masterpiece. I mean, it just blew me away the first time I saw it. If you have yet to watch The Descent, you should really check it out. By far, one of my favorite horror movies of all time--which would be a good future blog post, but I digress. 
Anyway, we went to see this movie... There aren't words to describe the craziness that is Doomsday. Its like they went through their video collection and took their favorite moments from about seven different movies. It starts out very 28 Days Later, with an infection breaking out in Ireland. Then, after they give the infected area 30 years to get all nice and post-apocalyptic, the movie takes a decidedly Escape from New York turn. I mean, this went beyond homage to blatant (albeit loving) rip-off. The main chick even wore boots and had an eye patch, for crying out loud! Anyway, it continues with that sort of vibe for a while, and at this point, the movie was kind of losing me. It was okay, but it was like a sub-par version of the aforementioned movies. And to be fair, Escape from New York isn't even that great of a movie, I just randomly love Snake Plissken.
So I'm getting sort of disinterested, then all of the sudden, the main characters go to the countryside! They go through a cave! They visit a medieval castle! The movie starts ripping off Lord of the Rings! Mindfudge! I was not expecting that at all. As if this movie could get more ridiculous, they add knights and castles. But there were more surprises to come! So as they are traveling through this cave-thing, they stumble across a crate that has a brand-new car in it! And now the movie turns into a sweet-a car chase, where the crazy Mad Max folks are in hot pursuit of the group of good guys. Cue explosions!
Anyway, to wrap it up, this movie was completely nuts. About two -thirds of the way through, I started laughing and couldn't stop. It was that silly and ridiculous. It's got "cult" written all over it. So, if you're into that kind of thing, definitely check it out. It was pretty much awesome.
7 comments:
Yeah. That movie was boss. I might even call it boss-a-nova. Cha-ching!
"Midevil"?
Tell me you were being ironic.
That movie sounds weird.
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
I thought you didn't like it.
I haven't even seen it but I love it just because it shares my same nickname!
Blogger didn't save my second-draft edits, Ryan. And you're kind of an ass.
I'm sorry. I was just kiddin'. But I'm sorry.
Post a Comment