Friday, June 6, 2008

Wrapped up in Books

So I just finished reading Stephenie Meyer's new book, The Host. No, it isn't the novelization of the crazy-awesome Korean horror movie. For those of you who are unindoctrinated, she's the one who wrote the Twilight, vampire-in-love series. Which I like, but do not love. (Sidenote: I loved Twilight, I sorta liked New Moon, I didn't like Eclipse. Also, I hate Jacob in the books. Haaate. I'm also starting to hate Bella. This is a bad thing, since she's the main character...)

However, I really enjoyed The Host. It had a lot of the same literary tics that Twilight has, so if you don't like her writing style, steer clear. Also, it was way too long; an editor should have cut out about... 100 pages or so. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the book. After Eclipse, I didn't expect to like it. But it was great! The sci-fi stuff worked well, the characters were engaging, the story was interesting. (Another sidenote: I thought many of the characters in The Host were just the same characters from the Twilight series.)

It's been a while since I finished a book, which is strange for me, since I usually read voraciously. The past couple I've tried to read I haven't finished (Everything is Illuminated, Watchmen). I think I'll try and finish Watchmen, since it's supposed to be this graphic novel masterpiece and all. I feel sort of like an idiot to say this... but so far, I'm not loving it. I pretty much hate all the characters (and not in a love-to-hate them sort of way, in a could-care-less way). Alex says it picks up a lot if you can just plow through the beginning.

Oh, also, I just read a review on Pajiba of a book I'm really interested in reading. Here's an excerpt of the review and you'll see why: "But I swear to those among you who still have an inkling of romantic yearning within your cold, black, jaded coal-sized hearts: Beginner’s Greek is about true love: Jim and Pam, Wesley and Buttercup, Desmond and Penelope love. It’s not Neil Gaimann[sic], it’s not Nick Hornby, nor is it a cool novel full of Klostermanesque cultural allusions, but — if you’re willing to suspend disbelief — it is a charming page turner that will fill you with lovesick ache and leave you with a heart full of euphoria." Sounds good, no? Even though I am quite a fan of Klostermanesque allusions....

2 comments:

Ryan said...

When I attended the Rocklahoma festival, Chuck Klosterman was there and he and I got in a fight. I totally beat his hipster ass. I was all, like, "Sex drugs and what? What?!" [then I'd punch him] "Cocoa puffs, bitch!"

You shoulda' been there.

Shanna Blythe said...

I ended up liking it quite a bit too, which surprised me. And yes, it could have been shorter. And I'm so with you on the Twilight series!