Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Grabe Article Post

#3 Take some time to explore the PBS site "Don't Buy It." (www.pbs.org/dontbuyit ). This site deals with Media Literacy - a form of information literacy. What do you think of the site? Do you think this is important, or not? Do you think this is effective, or not?

I think that media literacy is an extremely important topic. So important, in fact, that my group planned our TEAMS presentation around one facet of media literacy. I thought that this site had a lot of great information on it, but I think that the site should be geared to an older audience of students than this. It seemed a little childish to me for any junior high or high school class.

This topic is an essential one for teachers to implement in the classroom. In my research for our project, I have found some great websites for teachers to use as references in teaching their students media literacy.

My absolute favorite, and the jumping-off point for my interest in this topic, is found at PBS.org. It is a documentary, made in 2001, called "Merchants of Cool." It talks about the relationship between teens, the media, and identity creation. If you have not watched this documentary, I highly reccommend that you do so. It is fascinating. While you're there, PBS.org has a ton of information on this subject that you can browse.

I would also reccommend the New Mexico Media Literacy Project's page, found at nmmlp.org. It has a lot of great information, especially if you are more interested in deconstructing ads (which probably just means us English people).

However, I also found a site for you History folk, which has an overview of using advertising as historical evidence. Its a really good reference as well. Check it out here.

Lastly, there is a Canadian site called media-awareness.ca that is jam packed full of great resources to increase students' media literacy. There are lesson plans, articles, even online games for your pleasure.

Anyway, I have to go and write a task card and a final paper and die. Wait, scratch that last one. Instead, maybe I'll eat Pad Thai. That sounds much better.

2 comments:

Shanna Blythe said...

Sheree,

I think it is great that you posted some interesting sights. PBS has great value to it and knowing that it is there will be a help. I think sometimes teachers are lazy about what they are teaching and they tend to just show a movie. But with forethought and using media like The Merchants of Cool you can create a whole unit plan around it that teaches the students to really think critically about their world.

Ms. Burnell said...

Hey!

Well it looks like we (our little group of media literacy/English people) all posted the same opinion (more or less) on our blogs -- I of course agree with you. I do appreciate the fact that you tuned me in to all of this. You ROCK!

Carleen

PS. Your gabcast killed me! You are pretty funny "Crown Burger Girl"...