Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sideburn vs. Beard

I love this song. Check out the video to see Dan le Sac's awesome beard at a strip club. Quick shout out: I've been looking for some new music to listen to, as I have a ton of money to blow on itunes. Any suggestions?



Also, Alex and I went to see Michael Clayton yesterday, meaning we have seen all the movies up for Best Picture this year. Here's how, in my opinion, they all rank.

#1: No Country for Old Men--This one deserves to win. It is so damned good.
#2: Juno--I loved this movie so much, but its not the kind of movie that gets a lot of Oscar love.
#3: There Will Be Blood--This one is a close third. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed this one, particularly Daniel Day-Lewis' descent into terrifying madness.
#4: Atonement--This is a distant fourth for me. This movie was okay, but it had some serious flaws. I really liked James McAvoy, and I thought that the ending of this movie was awesome, but it dragged in the middle.
#5: Michael Clayton--While I thought this was a fine movie, it was nowhere near as good as the top three. I did like Tilda Swinton as the villain, (what else? She's nearly as scary as Daniel Day-Lewis!) but it kinda felt like a fancy version of The Pelican Brief, without the Denzel or chase scenes.

So that's how I see it going down. I think there is a possibility that There Will Be Blood will steal the top prize, I don't think it deserves it. If you have not yet seen No Country for Old Men, you are seriously missing out. It is... incredible. I loved it.

2 comments:

CitizenPain said...

That's a fine list! I mostly agree with it, the only point of deviation being that I think I liked There Will Be Blood better than Juno. But that shouldn't surprise you, since I'm morbid and hate happiness.

Anonymous said...

Val and I still need to see Michael Clayton & There Will Be Blood.
We just saw Atonement and we both really liked it in a sad and depressing sort of way.
And in response to your "shout-out", your music tastes are all over the board, man...G-n-F-n-R plus crazy- bearded-rep artists? But I'll try anyway...
Check out Okkervil River's album called Blacksheep Boy. There's a pretty duet on there that sounds old and new at the same time. And a revenge song called "Black" that could find its way onto my imaginary soundtrack for the Stephanie Meyer vampire books.